Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Gowns Are Finally Here.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Time to go change!
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally! We are finished!
 
Hello Birds! So here they are, my two dresses from the last two Marine Corps Birthday Balls. The stories behind these dresses are wild to say the least but the story of how these pictures came to be is equally as crazy!

The Really, Really Red Dress

(that's actually what the tag said when I bought it)
Okay! The way I went about getting this dress is quite similar to Nicolas Cage trying to find the National Treasure. Alright maybe not that crazy. Anyway, I basically wasn't given the green light-by my super over protective father- to go to the ball until one week, ONE WEEK, before the ball. This gave me exactly two days to find "the dress"! Naturally I dragged my boyfriend onto a train downtown to get us as close as possible to the infamous "Peaches Boutique". Of course, because I have the worst luck anyone can ever dream of having we missed our train by about 3 minutes and had to wait another hour to catch the next one. Once we finally got on the train I couldn't help but notice something smelled funny... like something was burning... Sure enough a few stops down and in the middle of literally no where the train comes to a stop and explains that from there we were all on our own and had to find our own means of transportation. That's it. No refunds, nothing. And I mean nothing, as in they didn't even drop us off at an actual train station, they literally opened the doors onto a gravel hill with stairs that led down to some street.

So we made our way down the street and decided to hail a cab, and of course Murphy's Law is like a black cloud that follows me around, and there are literally no cabs in sight. After about 15 minutes the one who shall not be named finally decides to call a cab which tells us they will be there in 20  minutes. Forty minutes later we are still standing out on some random curb in the middle of some sketch street, in the cold when a cab finally pulls up and gives us that "do you need a ride signal" so of course we're thinking uh duh! Why else would we have called you? So we get in and tell him where to go, 35 minutes after we are finally pulling into the parking lot of Peaches when I get a call saying, "Excuse me! Your cab has been waiting outside for five minutes, you need to come down now!" Of course, I'm already a crab so I shout back and explain we already arrived at our destination in another cab that didn't arrive an hour and 10 minutes late! At least it was something along those lines... Anyway so here's the thing. The one who shall not be named gives me a budget for occasions such as these that require pretty clothing. Because this was my first time going to the  ball he gave me a budget of $500 so what do I do? I walk into Peaches and when my consultant asked what I was looking for I said, "Can I see every single dress you have in red?" After that I literally tried on every single red dress in that boutique and this was the winner!

Black Lace:
This time I got the green light to go months in advance, I also started dress shopping months in advance. Literally. I started shopping for dresses in early September. It didn't matter though because I could not find a single thing. Because this was our second year going to the ball together and I couldn't simply show up in anything less that what I had on the year before my budget was raised to $600. Guess who was a happy camper? Unfortunately it wasn't me because I literally went to every single boutique in the area for weeks and asked for every black or red dress they had and none were doing it for me! EXCEPT for a gorgeous black lace dress which was $40 over my budget... and 4 sizes to big. Naturally I called the one who shall not be named and tried to explain how beautiful it was, my best friend who was with me even got on the phone to try and explain it's beauty. Eventually he said yes but when I was told how much alterations were going to be I had to back down. So I kept on searching and just TWO days, TWO days before the ball I found the EXACT same gown in another boutique, in a smaller size. It still wasn't my exact size but it did the trick;)

The Photo Sesh:
You ALL owe my amazing and incredible best friend
Melissa some crazy Internet thank you's! Remember that thing I said about having the worst luck ever? And how Murphy's Law is a black cloud that follows me? Well, originally these pictures were supposed to be taken at two separate locations. One location was for some reason closed to the public this one day of the year and the other we couldn't find on the map. However thanks to Meliss we arrived at this lovely little place. So after i awkwardly changed from sweat pants and a hoody into a ginormous black lace gown in the parking lot we took off onto a gravel trail to begin taking pictures. Not even two minutes after we choose a spot it started to pour. I actually did my hair for you guys. I really did! I curled it into all these pretty waves. Wait, no! I destroyed it with a hot tool for all of you, jk for those of you who don't know I do not use ANY heat products in my hair so this is a HUGE deal. Keep in mind when it starts to pour we have to start running back to the car, on a gravel trail, and I'm wearing 4 inch stilettos...
So this is how we spent our afternoon, snapping a few pictures, running back to the car, trying to fix up some make up because the rain washed half of it away, running back out, taking some more pictures, running back to the car... you get the point.
But in all sincerity, I could not have asked for a better person to help me out today! I am so very grateful to have Meliss in my life and I hope if you don't already have a friend like her in your life that you find one very soon!

If you would like to know more about this amazing
girl you can follow her on twitter: MelissxP

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend make sure to check thebirddays on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment